CSS background-color example!

-->

Thursday

Umbrellas of Cherbourg




The Umbrellas Of Cherbourg – an amazing, spectacular performance from a talented cast. From start to finish I was enthralled, emotionally involved with the characters and felt there hurt and pain of the two lovestruck teenagers. What amazed me about the production was the stage cosmetic. Cleaver sailor men that acted as invisible hands, moving chairs and characters around the stage in such beautiful motion. I thought I would be turned off by the fact that the whole performance is sung – and believe me, I am not a fan of musicals at all. Despite the singing and the cheesy love story, it was a humorous production that at times pushed the boundaries. A devilish sex scene where Geneivé and Guy consummated their love on the beach in Cherbourg – a metaphor of a balloon drifting off into the distance as a sign of virginity lost.

Other sex scenes between prostitutes were slighty off taste, but worked – I think the fantastic Maitresse, who introduced and closed the performance, was a lurker in the backgrounds of the scenes. She was a great asset to the musical despite not really having a purpose.. with cigarette in hand and a bottle of white in the other, she reminded me of an older Lady Gaga in her catsuit and ripped tights and red lipstick. One scene that really struck was her solo singing performance in French – beautiful. The show’s cast were fantastic at humming and singing in sync, dancing and all were light on their feet. I truly envisioned a boring French tale of woe but in fact It was joyous and at times hilariously funny.

No comments: